TRX to bed to TRX… (by Carrie)

My week was going great.  I swam on Monday then ran a couple of “secret miles” with some friends before having dinner with my family.  On Tuesday I woke up early and swam with my Master/Triathlete swim class then headed upstairs for sprints around the indoor track.  I only made 6 of the 10 400 repeats, but justified it because I just finished a 3000 yard swim and clocked an “off-season” 500 at 8:40.  Plus, all of the repeats were under goal pace, so justified, right?!  On Wednesday morning I clocked an hours worth of intervals on the spin bike and took an Ab Solution class.  Wednesday night I took a TRX class, came home, ate dinner and crashed at 8:30 pm.  I rarely get to bed before 9:30-10:00 p.m., but I didn’t think much of it because of all the early mornings. 

I woke up Thursday morning SICK as a dog!!!  My alarm went off at 4:30 a.m. and I contemplated getting up.  I lay there for another 20 minutes before deciding to dismiss the alarm entirely.  My aunt, who had been visiting the past few days, came to check on me.  “Are you ok??” “What time is it?”, I asked.  “7:00 a.m.”, she replied.  At this point I knew I was down.  I grabbed my phone to call my supervisor at work.  “You sound awful.”  she said.  She arranged for my workload to be covered for Thursday and Friday, despite me telling her I should be able to come in for the Thursday afternoon clients.  She was right though, there was NO way I would have made it in Thursday afternoon, or even Friday afternoon for that matter.  I thanked her, hung up the phone and crashed.  Literally.  I went back to sleep on Thursday morning around 7:30 a.m. and slept until Friday afternoon at 3:30 p.m., only waking to take medicine or eat some crackers.  I woke up Friday afternoon and felt much better.  I could finally stay awake longer than 10 minutes.  I started to think about the workouts I had missed.  I began a Google search to determine if and when I could resume workouts.  Consistently, I read about the “neck test.”  I determined that I would be ok to start slowly getting back to my routine, as most of my symptoms were “above the neck.”   I had already missed two full days of workouts and not only that, the four letter word (SNOW) is in the forecast.   

So, this morning (Saturday) I got up and took another TRX class at the gym.  This was the first week that my body has been able to handle two TRX classes per week, which is surprising because after the class on Wednesday night I did nothing to work the lactic acid out.  It felt good to be back!  Initially I wanted to get my tempo run in that I had missed on Thursday.  When I got up and realized how weak I still was, I thought better of it and decided to spin out on the bike.  I am hopeful that I am able to do my long run tomorrow morning and hop on the bike for an outside ride in the sunny, 51 degree afternoon!  For now though, I need my bed… I guess I should have named this TRX to bed to TRX to bed!  Nah…. I’m in denial!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s